MAPW - Admission Requirements
General Requirements for Admissions to the MAPW Program
To be considered for MAPW admission, applicants must submit the following credentials to the KSU Admission Office:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale;
- A minimum total score of 520 (verbal) and a minimum 4.5 (analytic writing) on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GRE requirement is waived for applicants who have earned an advanced degree.
- The following items should be submitted to:
MAPW Graduate Director, English Department,
Mailbox Drop 2701, Kennesaw State University,
1000 Chastain Road, Kennesaw, GA 30144-5591.
- An application letter that states the applicant’s goals for the MAPW program and a rationale for the choice of concentration and support areas;
- One copy of representative writing samples from both the concentration and the support area, not to exceed 25 pages;
- A letter of recommendation is optional.
*International applicants have additional requirements. See Graduate Admission section of this catalog.
Up to nine hours of graduate work from other accredited institutions may be transferred. To be transferred, course work from other institutions must correspond to Kennesaw State’s MAPW curriculum. Students will need to provide course descriptions and syllabi wherever possible, and the amount of credit granted will be at the discretion of the program director. A minimum grade of “B” is required for any course transferred. Such course work may be no more than five years old.
Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in every graduate‑level course. They must also achieve a GPA of at least 3.0 before they can advance to candidacy.
Applicants submit the following to the Office of Graduate Admissions, Kennesaw State University, 3391 Town Point Drive MD #9101, Kennesaw, GA 30144-5591 or email email@example.com by February 1st (Priority deadline for GTAs) and June 1st Final deadline) for fall semester. Apply by October 1st to begin spring semester.
- A completed application form
- Official transcript of your baccalaureate degree (and master's degree, if you have one) sent directly from the institution (s) you attended
- A statement of intent that examines your goals as a prospective student in the MAPW program and a rationale for your choice of concentration and support area
- One copy of representative writing samples from both your concentration and support area, not to exceed 25 double-spaced pages
- Up to three letters of recommendation
All applications must be accompanied by a nonrefundable $60.00 application processing fee. Make checks payable to Kennesaw State University.
If you have questions for Graduate Admissions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proof of your having received the baccalaureate degree should be on the transcript.
Additional Admission Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA)
- GRE scores of:
The GRE website is www.gre.org or contact Prometric Services 1-443-751-4820 or 1-800-473-2255 for test locations. The school code for Kennesaw State University is 5359.
- a minimum quantitative score of 400 (or 140 New Revised Test);
- a minimum verbal score of 520 (or 154 New Revised Test); and
- a minimum analytic writing score of 4.5.
We waive the GRE requirement for applicants who have earned a Master’s or PhD from an accredited institution with at least a 3.0 GPA and for those applying to our certificate options.
- Writing samples that reveal that the applicant is capable of completing graduate-level courses successfully.